Newark, New Jersey: What was once a factory in Newark's Central Ward could soon see new use.
U-Haul has acquired several properties near the corner of Orange Street and 1st Street, including the former James A. Banister Company Shoe Factory. The building, which has been abandoned for years, is located at 370-386 Orange Street next to the Orange Street Newark Light Rail Station. It is clearly visible from Route 280 near Exit 13. It was most recently used by Domino Manufacturing Corporation, which made wrapping paper.
According to Jeff Lockridge of U-Haul, the project is still in its early stages, and the company is "still going through the zoning process", and "has an engineer drawing up plans".
"Our plan is to put our adaptive reuse initiatives to use and repurpose the building as a U-Haul self-storage and truck and trailer rental facility to serve the community", Lockridge told Essex County Place.
The former factory was nominated last September for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places. According to the nomination form, the factory dates to 1915, and was later used by the Tung-Sol Lamp Works beginning in 1935.
Frank Hill Smith, Inc. designed the plant and others across the country. According to an article in the Shoe and Leather Reporter from 1916, the "inspector of Shops and Factories for the State of New Jersey recently stated that he considered the Banister plant the model factory of the state".
The City of Newark sold ten additional properties from 141 to 155 1st Street to U-Haul in December for $200,000.
Send story ideas, letters to the editor, and photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow us on Twitter - @PlaceNJ
Like us on Facebook - Essex County Place